Saluda County, named for the Saluda River which forms one of its borders, was established in 1895 from part of Edgefield County. The Cherokee Indians lived in this area for many years, and in 1755, they signed a treaty with the British at their settlement, Saluda Old Town. Scotch-Irish and English settlers subsequently began moving into the area, while the Cherokees moved farther to the north. Two of Saluda County’s natives – James Butler Bonham and William Barret Travis – helped shape the future of the United States by giving their lives to defend the Alamo. Bonham’s boyhood home still stands in Saluda and is the only remaining birthplace of an Alamo hero. This history and natural beauty is preserved and displayed in several museums in the region.
Home to a portion of Lake Murray, which has approximately 500 miles of shoreline and covers 50,000 acres, residents and recreational opportunities such as fishing or boating abound in Saluda County. For people who would rather enjoy the tranquility of a golf course, the Persimmon Hill Golf Club is the ideal place to go. Its Russell Breeden design consists of the longest golf hole in South Carolina.
The total population of Saluda County is 20,505. The median age is 40.94.
27.17% of the population in Saluda County have an Associate’s degree or higher. 79.27% have a high school degree or higher.
Saluda County has a labor force of 9,207 people, with an unemployment rate of 2.6%.
Income and Spending
Households in Saluda County earn a median yearly income of 45,937. 26.26% of the households earn more than the national average each year. Household expenditures average 46,530 per year. The majority of earnings get spent on Shelter, Transportation, Food and Beverages, Health Care, and Utilities.
How do people spend most of their money?
There are 207% more households who own their homes than there are renters.
Residents spend an average of 28 minutes commuting to work. Saluda County is served by 24 airports within 50 miles. Rail can be accessed within the community. Interstates can be accessed 8 miles away.